Share this:

" />
Published On: Sat, Aug 19th, 2017

US-South Korean war games will begin on Monday: Pentagon

Smiley face

Araweelo News Network

US Special operations Forces train in South Korea. (File photo)

Washington(ANN)-The Pentagon has announced that US-South Korean war games will begin next week amid rising military tensions between North Korea, Seoul and Washington.

The Pentagon said in a press release that the command post maneuvers known as Ulchi-Freedom Guardian will begin Monday and run through August 31.

The Pentagon said about 17,500 American servicemembers will participate in the drills. Last year, about 25,000 US servicemembers joined the maneuvers.

The announcement came amid concerns that the annual military drills could spark a new crisis with North Korea which has threatened to attack the American Pacific territory of Guam.

Last week, President Donald Trump said the US would rain “fire and fury” on North Korea, which some interpreted as threatening the country with a preemptive nuclear attack. A day later, he doubled down on his threat saying a military option against North Korea is “locked and loaded.”

In response to Trump’s dire warnings, North Korea said it was “carefully examining” a plan to strike Guam with missiles.

The North Korean military said it could carry out a pre-emptive strike if there were signs of an American provocation.

 

This AFP file combination of pictures shows an image US President Donald Trump (R) and North Korean leader Kim Jong-un.

 

On Tuesday, however, Kim Jong-un said that his country would not immediately carry out the missile attack against Guam, but warned North Korea would stay fire-ready while keeping a close eye on Washington’s actions.

US Defense Secretary James Mattis warned on Monday that if a missile were to hit Guam, it would be treated as an act of war.

“If they shoot at the United States, I’m assuming they hit the United States. If they do that, it’s game on,” he said speaking at the Pentagon.

Tensions on the Korean Peninsula escalated in July when an intercontinental ballistic missile (ICBM) capable of targeting the US mainland was successfully tested by Pyongyang.

Pyongyang says it needs its weapons as a deterrent against US expansionism and to defend its nation in the face of any US aggression.

Source: presstv.ir

About the Author

- Arraale Mohamoud Jama Freelance Journalist and Human Rights Activist Arraale, is a 20 year experience as a professional Journalist and human rights activist Over the years, worked for the major News Papers in Somaliland as a reporter, editor and contributor. 2008 established website Araweelo News Network, he currently runs a web site based in Somaliland. who is the specializes in the investigation and reporting on issues relating to human rights, democracy, and good governance. contact: Info@araweelonews.com jaamac132@gmail.com Send an SMS or MMS to + 252 63 442 5380 WhatsApp + 252 65 910 7347.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Smiley face Smiley faceSmiley faceSmiley face Smiley face Smiley face Smiley face