Published On: Tue, May 1st, 2018

Sudanese MPs urge withdrawal from Saudi-led coalition waging war on Yemen

Smiley face

Araweelo News Network

In this file photo, taken on April 12, 2017, Sudanese soldiers are seen outside the Yemeni coastal port town of Mokha. (By AFP)

Riyadh(ANN)-A group of Sudanese lawmakers has urged President Omar al-Bashir to withdraw the country’s troops from a Saudi Arabian-led coalition waging war on Yemen.

The Alliance for Change, which comprises independent members of the Sudanese parliament, condemned as “unconstitutional” Sudan’s participation in the Saudi-led coalition against Yemen, Radio Dabanga reported Monday.

“Dispatching Sudanese army soldiers and members of the Rapid Support Forces is an unconstitutional measure, and carried out without having been remitted to the parliament,” the lawmakers said in a statement on Sunday.

“Sudan should not interfere in the affairs of other countries,” Abulgasim Burtom, the chairman of the Alliance for Change, said. “The Interim Constitution of Sudan is clear: The president of the Republic has no right to decide to send an army [to fight] abroad.”

Burtom stressed that Sudan “should opt for balanced relations with other countries that serve the interests of Sudan.”

He also called on the government “to appropriately compensate the families of the troops who died and were wounded in Yemen.”

The Saudi-led war was launched in March 2015 to reinstate a former regime that had been loyal to Riyadh. The Saudi-led coalition has failed to achieve that goal despite its disproportionately superior military power and has gotten bogged down in has been dubbed Saudi Arabia’s Vietnam.

The Yemeni Ministry of Human Rights announced in a statement on March 25 that the Saudi-led war had left 600,000 civilians dead and injured during the past three years. Famine and cholera have also spread.

Yemeni man walks and looks through debris and rubble at a destroyed gas station that was hit by a Saudi airstrike in the district of Abs in the northwestern Hajjah Province, Yemen, on April 24, 2018. (Photo by AFP)

Domestic voices in Sudan have long urged a withdrawal from the Saudi-led coalition but those calls gained momentum after three senior Sudanese officers and scores of soldiers were killed during a battle in northern Yemen on April 10.

Sudanese President Omar al-Bashir has on several occasions stressed Sudan’s intention to continue participation in the war on Yemen. However, Sudan’s Akhbar el-Youm newspaper quoted informed sources as saying that there is a strong trend among the leaders of the state to withdraw Sudanese forces from Yemen amid mounted pressure.

The report also revealed that the Sudanese troops fighting in Yemen have not received their salaries from Riyadh.

Source: Presstv.com

About the Author

- Arraale Mohamoud Jama Freelance Journalist and Human Rights Activist Arraale, is a 20 year experience as a professional Journalist and human rights activist Over the years, worked for the major News Papers in Somaliland as a reporter, editor and contributor. 2008 established website Araweelo News Network, he currently runs a web site based in Somaliland. who is the specializes in the investigation and reporting on issues relating to human rights, democracy, and good governance. contact: Info@araweelonews.com jaamac132@gmail.com Send an SMS or MMS to + 252 63 442 5380 WhatsApp + 252 65 910 7347.

Leave a comment

XHTML: You can use these html tags: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <s> <strike> <strong>

Smiley face Smiley faceSmiley faceSmiley face Smiley face Smiley face Smiley face

Araweelo is an Associated Network News, The most trusted source for news & Political,investigator report,Human Rights Issues,Educations,Social and Democracy ,Latest News Horn of Africa. runs Arraale Mohamoud Jama Freelance Journalist and Human Rights Activist based in Somaliland.

Chat with us on WhatsApp