Araweelo News Network.
Mekelle(ANN)- Tigray authorities have officially responded to a call by the Ethiopian federal government for a ceasefire and dialogue, after TDF fighters took control of Tigray region after eight months of bloody fighting and massacres, Humanitarian crisis and other crises following November’s invasion of the region by Ethiopian Federal Government forces in collaboration with Eritreans and Amhara militias.
But last Monday, the TDF recaptured Mekelle and expelled government forces, Eritreans and Amhara militias, as the TPLF on Friday released thousands of prisoners it said it had captured as government forces won the battle since November. 2020.
The federal government, in a hurry, announced a ceasefire and said it had withdrawn from the region, but the TPLF did not respond. Officials said they were clearing the region of what they called an invading enemy referring to the Federal Government forces, the Eritrean forces and the Amhara militias.
In a three-page statement issued yesterday by the Tigray Administration, it strictly adhered to the terms of the ceasefire announced by the federal government, titled “Terms of Ceasefire”, explaining the conditions that are difficult to meet, acceptance of Abiy Ahmed’s government.
The TPLF’s demands for a ceasefire include finding a way to hold Ethiopian Prime Minister Abiy Ahmed and President Issaias Aferworki accountable for the damage they have done to the region. as well as the creation of an independent body by the UN to investigate tragic incidents, such as genocide, rape, looting and crimes committed during the war.
The statement also said that other humanitarian issues, including the distribution of aid and the return of displaced people to Tigray, should be resolved immediately and all basic services in the region should be restored, while Communications and Electricity are still out of state.
The Addis Ababa government has previously refused to open talks with TPLF leaders, calling them a terrorist organization by a decree issued by the Ethiopian Federal Parliament, but Deputy Prime Minister and Foreign Minister Demeke Mekonnen Hassen, he said earlier that the government was ready for talks with the TPLF.
Published Araweelo News Network.
Please share with your friends the news and information provided by the networks Araweelo News Network.
Follow us Twitter@Araweelonews
By Arraale M Jama Freelance Journalist and Human Rights activist.